Missing save files can be caused by a few different reasons. The first step is to make sure the save files exist on the disk. Save files can be found in the following folder:
- Vista, 7 & 8.x: Documents\My Games\Amnesia Rebirth\Main
- Linux: ~/.local/share/frictionalgames/Amnesia Rebirth/Main
- Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/Frictional Games/Amnesia Rebirth/Main
No save files on disk
If the folder does not exist or there are not files in the folder then you are lacking permission to write to the folder. You will not be able to recover your files. But this can be resolved in the future by running the game as administrator
1) Open the game folder
2) Right click AmnesiaRebirth.exe
3) Press Run as Administrator
Save files exist in a folder with your Steam user name
If this is the case then restart Steam to force the game to update to the latest version. This should resolve your issues.
Save files exist in a folder called Default
We accedentally released a patch without Steam Cloud saves, this meant that save files ended up in the Default folder. To resolve this use one of the following techinques
Manually log in as Default user
1) Right click Amnesia Rebirth
2) Click Properties...
3) Click the "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS"
4) Enter: -user Default
Copy files to the other folder
1) Select all files in the Default folder and press ctrl+c
2) Go into the folder with your steam user name. (for example example daniel_123891230F)
3) Press ctrl+v